Join Our Team of Freedom Fighters!
Job Title: Freedom Cities National Coordinator/Campaigner
Position: Full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About Freedom Cities:
Over the last thirty years, sanctuary has been identified as a core tenet of the immigrant rights movement, with limited success. In this moment, we must think and act more expansively. Freedom Cities is an emerging intersectional movement to advance human rights, protect all those facing oppression, and make entire campuses, cities, towns, and communities safe. Freedom Cities was conceived by those directly affected by policies that incarcerate, displace, and marginalized communities of color. We believe that communities will only be safe when everyone lives with dignity and has the opportunity to thrive without fear of physical violence, racial injustice, and economic oppression at the hands of greedy corporations, white supremacists, or the government. Freedom Cities is anchored by Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, Black Alliance for Just Immigration, Enlace, and Million Hoodies Movement for Justice.
2018 is going to be a big year for us as we build and grow our movement. We are looking for a passionate and experienced organizer to join our national coordinating team to take our work to the next level.
The Freedom Cities Coordinator/Campaigner supports a three-pronged mission:
1. Advance policies and campaigns that center and protect those most vulnerable within our society and seek to invest in groundbreaking approaches to uplifting communities.
2. Create a broad, inclusive narrative that elevates the stories of all marginalized communities through media engagement, messaging, and the use of online platforms. This intersectional analysis will build a shared landscape of the root causes of the injustices our communities face.
3. Build the capacity of grassroots organizations to engage advocacy efforts, producing and sharing model legislation, and educating key stakeholders including policymakers, thought leaders, philanthropy, and community members.
● Oversee strategy implementation among Freedom Cities anchors, steering committee, and core partners.
● Convene the steering committee and partners on a regular basis to develop campaign strategy
● Coordinate a national convening
● Mobilize and develop infrastructure to support ongoing activities.
● Represent Freedom Cities positions and demands to essential stakeholders, including government.
● Develop internal and external written materials.
● Coordinate relevant outreach efforts and support local campaigns.
● Maintain relationships with steering committee member organizations through ongoing communications and quarterly Steering Committee meetings
● Maintain communications infrastructure to deepen engagement of Freedom Cities supporters.
● Compile stories from Freedom Cities to be shared over various communications platforms.
● Other duties assigned by Freedom Cities anchors.
Desired Skills & Experience:
● Demonstrated outstanding leadership skills and the ability to connect with and build effective teams of diverse partners across the community.
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills
● Working knowledge of local organizing, advocacy, and political landscape
● A strong commitment to and understanding of human rights and social justice.
● Demonstrated skill and experience in developing campaign strategy, managing campaigns, and/or coalition building.
● Strong facilitation expertise
● Great attention to detail, administrative tasks and proven ability to manage multiple projects
● Motivated self-starter able to learn and solve problems without heavy supervision.
To apply submit cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com. Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.